Moz's Best-Kept Secrets


A playlist of Morrissey's underrated singles, could-have-been-single b-sides, excellent fillers and interesting rare tracks.

Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness
A duet with Moz's childhood idol, Sandie Shaw, this Viva Hate-era song never saw the light in any of Morrissey's early LPs… another good depressing Moz lyric encapsulated in a dance-able melody and sound… aka as Moz's version of Elton John's Don't Go Breaking My Heart.
The Line: I don’t mind what time you come round/ if it’s the weekend then I have to be dead, oh

I'm Playing Easy to Get
Consistent favorite of mine… Morrissey unloads a few of his amusing lyrics, this time, on getting hitched with this playful wispy song… I just can't stop grinning whenever I hear him singing, Do I have to / Drop anchor like a sailor / To switch on the bulb in your head? Is he mocking the subject? Or is he just pure desperate? And how about the final line? So don't waste time / Trying to get to know me / I'm yours, I'm yours / And don't waste time with snappy conversation / I'm yours / Everyone knows / I'm yours. I wish I could say that.
The Line: The whole song.

Ordinary Boys
One of the three Viva Hate "fillers" included here that could change a waylaid life… some of them were the members of the English punk band Ordinary Boys, who named themselves after this same track title…
The Lines: but you were so different/ you had to say no/
when those empty fools/ tried to change you/ and claim you

My Love Life
Moz certainly knows how to play a willing 3rd wheel in a relationship… here, he is asking someone to "give something new to my love life"… clever, witty and with nice, almost country-ish tune, this is certainly one of Morrissey’s most overlooked singles.
The Line: I know you love one person / why can't you love two?

I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
A very succinct song with a lengthy title that is filled with so much drama and emotions, you will feel its effect long after it has ended. Here, Moz croons, in his usual manly voice, you think you were my first love, but you were wrong, then after you just thought it is another Moz-rejection in the making, he then gives us this line, "…you were the only one, who has come and gone.". Classic.

Satan Rejected My Soul
An uproarious, infectious pop song that Satan, even if he denies Morrissey’s pitiful soul in his hellish throne, will surely hymn to. One of a handful of remarkable songs you can find in the unfairly-clobbered LP Maladjusted.
The Line: so take it, it’s free.

Jack the Ripper
Considered by many fans as Moz' best non-single song, and listening to this, you might agree with them. His harrowing take on England’s most famous serial killer will both enchant and grip you.
The Line: Crash into my arms/ I want you

Speedway
Apparently, Moz thought V&I will be his last album. That thought brought out the best in him, and it was evident in this track, a stirring open letter to his critics, and the perfect final track for an emotional album.
Line: I’ve always been true to you/ in my own strange way

Skinstorm
A more polished, heart-felt version of Raymonde’s original song, someone even suggested this could be an aphrodisiac background. Moz’ has not sound sexier than when he covered this.
The Line: We shelter in… our skinstorm

Comments

Popular Posts